0

A Box Made from Junk Mail - Tutorial

Posted by Moxie D. on 11:27 AM in ,
I love to find new ways to recycle or reuse items and this is one of my favorites!

Junk mail is one of my pet peeves because in my city you can't recycle it. I don't know why, they just won't accept it in the bin and leave you a little note saying that they will revoke your recycling privileges if you do it again. So I had to come up with some ways to reuse this stuff.

I don't know about you, but my area has started in with all of these card stock flyers. In my mail, hanging from my front door...and of course, me being me, all I see are wasted dead trees. So with a little bit of trial and error I came up with these...

And here is how I did it......



You will need -
Junk Mail Card Stock (any type)
Ruler
Pen
Exacto Knife
Hot Glue Gun

You can use what ever type of glue you would like or even tape. I just like to use hot glue because it dries the fastest.




Step 1. Measure in 1" from the edge of your cardstock and mark.

Do this at intervals around all four sides.

You can really use whatever measurement that you would like. Just make sure it is the same all of the way around.





Step 2. Connect your marks so that they make a straight line along each side. Be sure to draw all of the way to each edge so that the lines intersect at the corners.















Step 3. Using heavy pressure run your pen up and down each line a few times to "score" them for folding.











Step 4. Measure the length of your card stock and divide it in half to find the center. Lightly mark a center line. 


Now mark a 1/2" on either side of this line. Repeat on the other edge.














Step 5. Connect your marks and use heavy pressure to score these lines also.


Step 6. With the long side of your cardstock horizontal, and using the lines as guides, take your exacto knife and cut the flaps as shown.


Be careful not to cut above your 1"mark.








Step 7. Fold along all of the lines you have made.


I prefer to keep all of my markings hidden on the inside.











Step 8. Fold your box into it's basic shape to try it out and see if you have your sides even.


This is where you will find out if you can draw a straight line and how good your math was when you found the center of your sheet.

If everything is right it should fold up just like a clam shell.







Step 9. You will have 3 open sides and a solid one. Hot glue the side directly opposite of the solid one.











 













Step 10. Pick one of the other open ends and hot glue that together.















And you should now have a super awesome
 recycled box!



|

0 Comments

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 The (mis)Adventures of Me All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.